Created B'Tzelem Elohim, "In the Image of God"

Within each child lies a spark of divinity, as we are created B'Tzelem Elohim, "In the Image of God." Every child is special, and deserves the chance to to find their spark. Follow their lead, as their interests may become their gifts.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Oh no, please don't throw a fit!

One of my least favorite roles of parenting was that of observer to the temper tantrum.  Even now, although my sons are 24 and 21, I can remember those days like it was yesterday.  I felt helpless and lost.  Everything I tried to help calm them never worked.  I'd threaten, bargain, tease, anything to get them to stop.  Over the years I have learned that the power of a tantrum is fueled by questions and comments.  I have changed my practice to now move a child to a safe space and say, "When you need me, I'm right here."  This approach has had a much higher level of success.   There's no doubt I am gonna be a much better bubbe than I was a momma!

This article shares a study that explains the process of a tantrum.

Deconstructing Temper Tantrums

No comments: